How to Setting Up any Router
Setting Up any Router : Setting up a router in your residence or business place might appear to be a daunting task, yet, it goes through some simple steps. However, the exact names or the steps may avail a slight difference among themselves depending on the specific brand of the router. Therefore, people often call for a proper guide that can help one to set up as well as optimise a router. All you would need is to analyse the common ways through which these routers are managed, that being done through the web interface. Once you access it, the rest is self-explanatory. This would also allow you to view, manage as well as monitor the settings and features of the router. The general process of setting up a router is relatively same in all the cases.
Each one of us who have bought a new PC will certainly come to know that there are a lot more behind simply setting it up after taking it out of the pack and eventually proceed by just turning it on. It is similar in the case of setting up a home router as well. Of course, putting it up together is never a little job to be done, but consequently, it cannot be recalled as an overly difficult job in any way. The technicians who have been dealing with the hardware are gradually making different kinds of improvements to make the task go easier even for the sake of non-technical users to confirm that they can do well with the home networks.If you’d like to find out how to set up your specific router go to our how to section.
The complete guide to setting up any router:
The new varieties of routers that are presently available in the market usually come with ports that are clearly labelled to make sure that the first time users do not face any difficulty in accessing them. In some of the cases, these routers even come with colour coded configurations, thereby, making it simpler for the users to connect stuff easily. Most of the routers own a basic configuration, and they remain preset from the factory itself that has the potential to simplify the entire matter more efficiently.
It may be a common circumstance apparently when you find that plugging everything in at their places enable it to work well but it is never the case at all the time. There may be several issues raised in this regard, most of them being upheld by the performance and security of the network.
Read : Setup a 2wire Routers
The below-mentioned steps are some of the basic measures a user needs to follow to configure the router properly at your home or business place:-
- Selecting an efficient router is the first decision that asks for the maximum priority. Therefore, it is always important to make ample research on your available options before you conclude on any particular decision. The deal is worth your time before you make the investment since the router will be standing up as the heart of your residence or workplace. Make a comparative study on the options before you. You may also choose to start your list of search by mentioning “best wireless routers”.
- At first, you need to pick up a safe, central location where you can place the router, thereby ensuring that there are minimal chances of it being knocked over or bumped in any way.
- Setting up the hardware appropriately is an essential part of the job where the router’s WAN port must be connected to the internet source, such as a cable modem or a DSL. Using the power button, you need to insert the power cable to the router generally located on the back or the side space of the device. Now, switch on the router to fetch the connection. Next, the router must be plugged into the power outlet by using its power adapter. However, there are many routers that do not have this on-off switch and they automatically turn on as plugged in.
- The newer models are usually connected through the USB chord, while the Ethernet cable or the LAN network is also used to connect the router; if you have a separate modem, you can follow these steps at ease. The WAN or uplink option or the internet option could be chosen to access for the sake of connecting the modem. The power on/off button must be restarted to make sure that the modem succeeds in recognising the router.
- Now, access the router’s admin control console and display the router’s web interface. This would require two basic things, i.e., the URL of the router or the default IP address along with its default log-in information. After the PC and the router are physically connected to one another, you may choose to proceed with the customisation of the router’s configuration. A majority of the routers that are available in the present market are usually managed by a web browser, and then, they are consequently shipped by using a default IP address. An administrator account and a password would also be needed. The default IP address usually varies from one vendor to another. Thus, it is always recommended to check the provided documents to gain the appropriate information and proceed with the same accordingly. Just as you have got the information correctly, it will be easier for you to access the management console. Open an internet browser like Chrome or Firefox or something else and then type in the IP address of the router in the address field of the tab. The printed manual of the router must have the entire explanation composed in it. The majority of the home routers have got a default IP address in the format, which goes like, 192.168.x.1, where x tends to be anything among 0, 1, 2, 3, 10 or 11; depending on the vendor. The default address of Trendnet is 192.168.10.1, and the D-link routers usually use an address like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. In case, the IP address is none among these; the following will be mentioned there in the router documentation.
- The login screen of the router will appear before you once you succeed in accessing the console. It will be asking you for your default username along with the password. Log in to the router by simply inputting the username and the password as the credentials that are demanded from yo and then press the Enter key as soon as you are done. The log-in information is usually kept predictable, and once you get both these pieces of information, you would just need to type the router’s IP address in the address bar of your preferred browser on the connected computer and then press the enter key. After entering the login information correctly, you will be greeted with the web interface.
- If there are some other routers around, you may face the challenge to identify your network. Thus, you may opt for changing the network name of your wireless router, also known as SSID; and then you will surely be able to detect your router at ease. This step is usually done by the users to ensure that they can detect their routers and above all, something descriptive is always better. Use the wireless security available to you at the highest level. You may find that there are still some routers that will be offering WEP. It is better to avoid using it as they may be vulnerable to brute-force attacks.
- Now, set up your encryption type and move on to assign a Passphrase to it. Keep in mind that this Passphrase must hold characters between 8 and 63 in length and that should be composed of letters, both belonging from the uppercase as well as lowercase. Numbers and characters must also be present along with. You can also keep the Passphrase with something that appears familiar to you so that you can keep that in your mind and face it as something easily accessible.
- Also, validate your network connection. Make sure that the computer can assess valid IP address from the router. Set up the internet connection successfully.
- All that you are left to do by now is to save you configuration changes and continue the process by testing the connection. It is obvious for your device to come online by now.
- As a security measure, you may opt for changing the username and password to prevent various sorts of malicious attacks. Also, check the final position of the router to ensure assessing the final position of the router.
- In the form of additional security, you can easily choose to disable the SSID from its means of broadcasting. This would prohibit the network undiscoverable to the different wireless devices that have been searching for the available networks. It will also hide the network from all sorts of wireless devices surrounding you. In that case, the user would need to enter in the SSID manually into the device. You cannot term this as a full proof security, but it will assist you to keep your network concealed from the frequently available casual users. The accessibility to the guest network can also be availed in this regard, but you need to be sure that it must be assigned with a different passphrase.
- All routers are available along with a reset button—a tiny recessed button located on the bottom or the side of the device which would assist you to bring its setting options back to the factory default.
Test your internet speed once you are up with the features and then run the network, thereby, prioritising the network traffic. So, this was an indepth and comprehensive guide to setting up a router with maximum optimization for speed. Did we miss anythin? 🙂 Do let you know through the comments section